Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Winnie

We have had a special visitor for the past few days. At first my friend was super shy and didn't really want to venture over to our place, but now she has been stopping by almost every day. Her name is Winnie, and although she lives up to her name, she is very sweet and loves attention. Please, I'd like you to meet my new friend. Doesn't she have lovely green eyes?


Winnie, the brown tabby cat


She started coming around a few weeks ago, and would dart away if we even tried to open the back door. She was so skinny, and I felt sorry for her, so I made the "mistake" of putting some milk out for her. Well, after a couple days of milk, she couldn't stay away. She stops by for both breakfast and dinner every day. We even dolled out some cash and got her some real cat food. Well, apparently she spoils easy, because she is now very insistent that we feed her at least twice a day. :) In fact, so insistent, that she doesn't stop whining until her mouth hits the food. And, unlike normal, patient cats, she WHINES. No purring, begging, or soft whimpering - a flat out screeching whine. So, we decided to name her Winnie for short. =)


I found it very curious how her attitude quickly changed from darting at the smallest overture of friendship or safety; to demanding attention and care - and satisfied with nothing less. She reminds me a lot people. We often are frighted of the thought of being kept safe and protected by the Lord, and will emotionally dart from the mention of someone else taking care of us. Then, when we taste the goodness and sweetness of His presence, we wonder, "Maybe I should come back for more". The moment we get a small portion of sustenance, we realize how hungry we really are. We don't often realize how much the Lord truly loves us, and how He sees out state of being and desires to fill us with food that will give us fulfillment. We come back, and we taste and see that the Lord's food is good, healthy, and fulfilling. Then, suddenly, our heart cries out and we long for more! We find that the alleys and byways cannot offer the same freshness or provide the rich flavor; everything else seems to pale in comparison to the royal food that is freely given us.


I can't let Winnie into my parents house, or give her a warm bed to sleep in. I realize how insufficient my care is for her, and I am reminded that my God is all-sufficient, and He invites us to come in, sit down, and eat with Him. He feeds the ravens, and considers us far more valuable. He wants to keep us safe in His loving arms. "For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock." He calls to us, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."



Little Winnie, you are a picture of me. Crying out for something more - something that will give me life again. Purpose that will satisfy my every longing. A Friend that will never leave me homeless, like you have been left. Someone who cares.


Praise be to the Lord! For you have found deliverance in my backyard, and I have found my deliverance in Christ!


Truly, the Lord is gracious to provide for a hungry sinner like myself. His love and mercy knows no ends.

2 comments:

Tia said...

Awwww.....poor kitty! Glad you're taking care of her. Are you going to adopt her for real or does she belong to a neighbor?

Mountain Lover said...

I know, she's so needy, poor thing. No, we can't adopt her (for multiple reasons), and I have no idea if she belongs to someone. She doesn't have a collar, so I'll need to check the missing cat ads.