Sunday, July 29, 2007

Soli Deo Gloria

The sole purpose of our existence is to bring glory to God, the Creator of the Universe; the Creator of you and me. “Why glorify God?”, you might ask. Because you were raised up “for this very purpose, that [He] might display [His] power in you and that [His] name might be proclaimed in all the earth." The Bible reminds us that “in all things God may be praised.” (1 Peter 4:11) and encourages us “that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Romans 15:6) One of the most fundamental questions of all ages, “Why am I here and what is my purpose in life?” is simply answered by our forefathers, “What is the chief end of man? Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him for ever.” Every day, throughout our lives, it is “God who works in you to will and to act according to His good purpose.” (Philippians 2:13) What an incredible honor - that the Lord of the Universe would be willing to take a life and cause it to be of eternal value!
It is my prayer that the words written on this blog will show that each moment in our lives are designed to bring glory to our mighty God, and how God works in even the “insignificant details”. My hope is also that each post will reveal the fulfillment that is found in a life that is dedicated to the glorification of God. For when we aim to glorify God with our very being it is then, and only then, that we find true satisfaction; abiding joy; meaningful purpose; eternal significance.
As a dear follower of Christ once prayed, “O may angels glorify Him incessantly, and, if possible, prostrate themselves lower before the blessed King of heaven! I long to bear a part with them in ceaseless praise; but when I have done all I can to eternity I shall not be able to offer more than a small fraction of the homage that the glorious God deserves. Give me a heart full of divine, heavenly love.”

Soli Deo Gloria! To God be the glory alone!

No comments: